Freunde: Part 2

On Tuesday and Wednesday, I got to hang out with my friend, Theresa, and her boyfriend, Juan. Theresa was even nice enough to let me stay at her place this week. She and I actually met on a bus, which is very unusual for northern Germany. People here usually don't strike up conversations with strangers, but Theresa is not your stereotypical north German. She's very open and loves to travel. In fact, she probably undestood better than anyone what it was like for me to live in Germany because when we met, she had just returned from two years as an au pair in the United States.

Raclette feast with Theresa and Juan.
Theresa and I spent a lot of evenings together when I lived in Bremerhaven. I would stop by her house after dance class, and we'd have dinner and watch Gilmore Girls. We kept in touch after I left, and she actually met up with me in Stockholm last summer while I was on vacation with my aunt.

Juan is from Colombia and belongs with me in the Gallery of People Theresa Met on a Bus. Actually, for them, it might have been a train. I positively adore international love stories. Juan is a cool guy, and I was glad to see Theresa so happy.

The picture at right is from Tuesday night. We had Raclette for dinner, which a Swiss style of grilling. You basically fill a shallow metal bowl with ingredients - meats, vegetables, cheese, sauce - and then place it next to hot electrical coils and wait for everything to cook together. It was so much fun to hang out with Theresa again and get to know Juan. They're a great pair.

Comments