Heading home

"Though the truth may vary this
Ship will carry our
Bodies safe to shore"
- "Little Talks" by Of Monsters and Men

Well, friends, I'm getting back on the Helmer Hanssen, and at least for me, the Marine Night campaign is over. I'm riding the ship back to Longyearbyen, and from there I'll fly home to Stavanger. It's been an incredible experience.

Even though I would have rather had my Kvadehuken samples, it was nice to have a free day yesterday. I spent time with the friends that I made on the ship and in Ny-Ă…lesund, and I even had a productive conversation with a scientist whose interests almost exactly match mine. I feel a collaboration coming on.

Every time I leave the Arctic, I fear that I will never have the chance to return. This time, though, I know I will be back in September, so leaving is just a little bit easier. I count myself blessed to have seen this place, to have researched its mysteries, and to have become part of the Arctic biology community.

I leave you now with the northern lights over Kongsfjord, photographed by Malin Daase. The lights were actually this bright two nights ago. What an amazing place this is!


Comments