O apresentação

At exactly 8:06 am, I opened my hotel room door. I was wearing a solid orange sundress and sandals, and I clutched a flash drive in my hand. That flash drive contained all I really needed for the day: a PowerPoint file explaining my research on deep-sea dropstones. With a long, deep breath, I embraced the new day and marched off to deliver my presentation.

Photo by Almir Santos.
My talk wasn't actually scheduled until after lunch, but I woke up early to run through the presentation and make sure it would fit into the allotted time. You'd be surprised how quickly 15 minutes can fly by, especially when talking about an interesting and complicated project in front of a crowd. The conference organizers used a small green maraca to keep the speakers in line: one shake after 10 minutes and two shakes after 12 minutes told the presenter when it was time to wind down.

The mark of a good presentation is always the discussion that follows. Once the speaker finishes, there are a few minutes for questions from the audience, but the discussion is often cut off and resumed during a coffee break later in the day. I had two good questions immediately following my presentation, and several people approached me throughout the afternoon. One was very interested in my data collection methods; another asked if I could send him references for the papers I cited. I ended up talking for quite a while with other students that work in deep-sea habitats, because our projects all share common elements.

Overall, I would call my presentation a success. It gave me the chance to share my work and leave an impression on my fellow conference attendees. Mission accomplished.

Comments