Keeping the Sabbath

"Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the Lord your God...For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but he rested on the seventh day." - Exodus 20:8-11

Sunset over the Pacific, 19 June 2016
I swung my backpack over my shoulder and started power-walking down Boat Basin Road. Keychains clacked against my water bottle. Ahead of me, the clouds glowed pink, reflecting the hues of the sunset taking place just below them. For the first time since Norway, I had a very distinct sense that I was under a ceiling, bounded in by a beautiful roof, and I smiled to myself at the memory of the Norwegian sky. I knew the best view of the sunset was going to be from the jetty behind OIMB's Boathouse Auditorium, so I rushed forward, chasing the pink clouds, camera in hand.

Sunset over the Pacific, 19 June 2016
It was actually a bit serendipitous that I caught the sunset tonight, because I was only at the lab for a short meeting. I had been planning to come in and work in the afternnon, but I ended up just staying home and resting. I've been going full-force since scheduling my thesis defense last week, because the defense ended up being sooner than I thought it would be. Sure, I have plenty of time to get my thesis revised, edited, and formatted before the deadline, but I'm not taking any chances. It's also physically impossible for me to procrastinate. 

Still, if there's one thing I've learned in the past two years, it is the value of rest, of taking a day off. Yesterday and today marked the first real weekend I've had in about a month, and I definitely needed it. There is so much wisdom in the practice of the Sabbath, of a day with no work. Sometimes I feel guilty for staying in the house, but I always end up refreshed and rejuvenated the following day. A day of rest usually increases my productivity in the long run. 

I'm glad for my day off and the renewed energy it's given me. I'm glad for the fresh summer wind and for the progress I've made on my thesis. I'm glad for a beautiful sunset over the Pacific, and that I had the time to see it.

Comments