The workshop

I really enjoy scientific workshops. Unlike conferences or seminars, where we just talk about our research, workshops have a defined goal and a short amount of time in which to achieve that goal. The discussions have more direction, and we make measurable progress by the end. It feels very productive.

The objective of this workshop was to collect and synthesize ideas for long-term collections of larvae in the deep sea, for example through an observatory. We met at the University of Aveiro for three days, and by the end of the second day, we had our ideas pretty well together. We had presentations from participants and open discussions, which eventually resulted in some solid, tractable directions and even an outline for a paper. Each of us left Aveiro with an assigned section to write. It will be very exciting to watch the draft come together!

The workshop reminded me how fortunate I am to hold a solid place in the marine biology community. I am affiliated with some truly world-leading experts, and by virtue of my training, experience, and current position, I am included in their circles. The workshop actually reminded me of how much knowledge I possess, because I was one of the researchers in the room with the most experience collecting deep-sea larvae. It was satisfying to be able to contribute to the discussion.

It has been a productive time in Aveiro!
Workshop participants on the University of Aveiro campus

Comments