Island home: part 2


If you had asked me 10 years ago where my career was heading, I never would have guessed the tropical Pacific. It was 2012, and I was just starting grad school. Having just discovered the magnificence of the high Arctic, I would probably tell you that I wanted to continue heading north. Maybe I would have said I wanted to go to Antarctica next or explore new regions of the deep sea. Coral reefs never would have even crossed my mind. But here I am. 

Tropical Kirstin paddling back to the boat with her bright 
pink fins, dressed like a lionfish. Photo by Kimberly 
Collins Jermain.
There's even a Tropical Kirstin taking shape in my mind. Some of you might remember me referring to German Kirstin or Norwegian Kirstin - versions of myself that developed during stints in those countries. I can even feel the gears shift in my mind when I go back to visit or do field work. German Kirstin has different facial expressions (which conform to German cultural norms); Norwegian Kirstin is extremely outdoorsy; American Kirstin is a little higher-stress than the other two but a great person all the same. 

Tropical Kirstin is salty. Literally. She is either submerged in seawater, or she is covered in sweat. All the time. She doesn't eat as much as the other Kirstins, and her main exercise is swimming. She raves about the wonders of coconut oil. She has a very flexible circadian rhythm and can be induced to stay up late for coral spawning, even though she plans her days to the minute. She is completely unfazed by snakes, cockroaches, bats, sharks, and feral dogs that would seem out of place elsewhere in the world. She always has sunscreen on her skin and in her bag and loves exploring in the jungle. She lives for the sound of the afternoon rain. 

I am so thankful that my team had a successful trip. We will be back in the spring. Bye for now, Palau. 

Comments