Ocean Sciences

"You should go to Ocean Sciences"
Giving my presentation. Photo by Johanna Weston.
- my mentoring committee, every time we've met over the last 4 years

I'm a small town girl. I don't do crowds. So when my mentoring committee pushed me to present at a conference with 5,000 participants, I pushed back. Not my speed, I told them. 

Here's the thing: Ocean Sciences is a hub. It's not just other scientists who show up here; program officers from all the major funding agencies show up. Reporters. Publishers. People who I would be lucky to connect with. 

So I came. I navigated the crowd. I gave my presentation - and guess what, I even got invited to participate in a press event. I attended town hall meetings with some of the major funding agencies. I connected with potential new colleagues, and I ran into multiple people who I hadn't seen in years. Yes, mentoring committee, you were right. I'm glad I came. 
WHOI students and faculty at the Audubon Aquarium.

There were several highlights this week, but one in particular that comes to mind was a reception for WHOI employees and alumni at the Audubon Aquarium here in New Orleans. We sipped wine and munched on hors d'oeuvres next to tanks of fish and sharks. There was even a tunnel you could walk through with fish overhead. There was shrimp in a cream sauce over cheese grits. It was the best New Orleans has to offer.

It's been a full but productive week - clearly worth the trip. 

Comments