God Jul

"God Jul" means "Merry Christmas" in Norwegian. Now that it's December, I see the phrase almost everywhere - in shop windows, on decorations. You know, in Europe, they're much better at naming their seasons properly. December is not called "Christmas season" but rather "Advent," which is its proper name. "Christmas season" historically speaking begins on December 25th.

Christmas lights on a restaurant in downtown Stavanger.
I love Europe during Advent. Unlike the States, where most people hang Christmas lights on their homes, lights in Europe are public works. Christmas lights are hung in the city center, often above the street or on businesses. As far as I've seen so far, the Christmas lights in Norway are a bit more extravagant than in Germany. One of the streets in Stavanger has a canopy of colored lights above it, and there's actually one restaurant on the water that lights up like a carnival (see photo at right).

The lunch room at IRIS has been decorated with poinsettas, and one of my housemates put up lights in our living room. Basically, it's beginning to feel a lot like Christmas. Over the weekend, I made significant progress on my shopping. Some housemates and I strolled through downtown to shop and look at the lights. We even stopped in at two free choral concerts in the city center. The Norwegians have a few Christmas songs that I've never heard before. Of course there are the standards, but then there's some song about a mouse family. I should try to learn it!

Life in Norway is good. Happy Advent!

Comments