The roadtrip: Part 7

Hagerstown, Maryland

The Wild Women of Charleston wine label
This is it - the final push east! I set off from Ohio earlier today with both parents in tow. They'll help me move in, and I'm extremely grateful for such a supportive family.

Before I tell you about the drive, I actually have to back up. When I moved into Oregon four years ago, my mom and I stumbled upon an hilarious item in a wine store in Coos Bay. It was an Oregon-made wine labeled "The Wild Women of Charleston, OR." Charleston is actually where my lab, OIMB, was located, so we couldn't resist purchasing the bottle.

The wine spent four years on my kitchen counter as a conversation piece, and then made it across the country with me to Ohio. My last night before the final push to Massachusetts, we opened the bottle of wine. And sipped it. And spit it out. After four years on my kitchen counter, the wine tasted exactly like a solution of grape juice and vinegar. Oh, but what an amazing label!




Western Maryland
Ok, now to the roadtrip. My parents and I set off from Ohio and headed east. We actually spent most of the day's drive in West Virginia and Maryland. We climbed the Appalachian Mountains and crossed the Eastern Continental Divide at 2600 ft altitude. Like its western counterpart, the Eastern Continental Divide marks the line between two watersheds. To the west of the Eastern Continental Divide, water flows into the Mississippi River; to the east, water flows into the Atlantic.

We crossed into Maryland, and I had no idea how hilly western Maryland was. Cumberland is actually nestled in the Appalachians. As we continued east, we made a dramatic drop in elevation. I can't wait to be back at sea level on the east coast!

Comments