1.5 perfect days

Beignets at Cafe du Monde!
You know those "Three Perfect Days" ads they have on airplanes? They play on the little screens in the seat backs while you're boarding. Every one starts with scenery of a beautiful destination that the airline serves, followed by suggestions for what to do while you're there. There are exactly three suggestions, corresponding to three days on the ground. 

I have the same thought about every "Three Perfect Days" ad: that's not enough to do for three days. You could do every suggested activity in a single day. Maybe a day and a half.

I tell you what, friends, if there was ever a travel planner who agreed with me, her name is Betsy. She is my husband's cousin, and she lives with her family in Louisiana. As soon as Ocean Sciences ended, I switched into Aunt Mode (I guess technically First-Cousin-By-Marriage Mode) and spent the weekend with Betsy's family. 

It was 1.5 perfect days. We met for dinner. We went to the aquarium. We explored the new insectarium (that's like an aquarium but with insects). We did an escape room. We ate beignets. It was busy and jam-packed and absolutely perfect. 

You see, Betsy and her husband, Zac, have two kids. The oldest, Everly, wants to be a scientist. Back when Carl and I got married, Betsy reached out through the extended family grapevine to ask if I would want to be pen pals with her daughter, and you can bet I said yes. 

I absolutely adore Everly. She is ridiculously intelligent, insatiably curious, and surprisingly articulate for an 11-year-old. I tell her about the research projects I'm doing; she tells me about her robotics team. I send her postcards from Svalbard and Palau. She sends me artwork that hangs in my kitchen. 

Everly and I have been trading letters for years, so our first in-person meeting was a pretty big deal to both of us. Betsy's younger daughter, Lelia, was equally enthusiastic to meet me. I ended up sitting between the two girls at every meal, holding each of their hands on Canal Street, making sure they both got to talk to me as we strolled through the aquarium. 

Kids are the best. I love teaching them about science, listening to what they have to say, and hopefully helping them shape healthy habits and good goals for the future. Betsy, Zach, Everly, Lelia, I had an amazing time with you in New Orleans and am already looking forward to the next time we see each other. 

Comments