Sunset

“Sunsets are proof that no matter what happens, every day can end beautifully”
- Kristen Butler

Andrew officiating. Photo by Astri J.S. Kvassnes
Our ceremony was at sunset. We left our shoes in the sand and waded out until we were ankle-deep in salt water. The ocean is what unifies Carl and me, and the beach is where I go to talk to God. It was the perfect place to take our next step together and join our lives.

My dear friend, Andrew, officiated. I knew he would honor our wishes for the ceremony, and it was absolutely perfect. Andrew shared his impressions of us as a couple and wisdom gained from his own 15-year marriage. We spoke our vows of commitment to one another. We exchanged our rings. I was full to bursting with love, joy, and hope.

Our first sunset together. Photo by Stefanie Kaboth-Bahr
Andrew pronounced us husband and wife, and then I got the first surprise of my marriage. Carl put one arm around my waist, lay the other behind my knees, and picked me up in a fireman carry. He walked a few more paces out into the water, and then promptly dumped me in! I landed on my back and got soaked up to my shoulders. We had wanted to follow Hawaiian marriage traditions to connect to the place we were in, and while I was excited to wear the traditional lei, it is also apparently Hawaiian tradition to jump in the ocean after your wedding. I was dripping and laughing and ecstatic. It was perfect.

We watched the sunset, gave soaking-wet hugs to friends and family, and headed home. Friends, I am married. And I have never been happier.

Comments