Smaug

Friends, I am happy to inform you that the cornerstone of my dissertation, my dropstone paper, has been published by Marine Ecology Progress Series. I first saw dropstones in photographs of the Arctic seafloor in 2011, and I've been working on an analysis of their communities in one capacity or another ever since. Whenever I give my elevator speech about my dissertation, I tell listeners "It started with dropstones..." because truly, these random rocks on the high-Arctic continental slope launched my interest into isolated hard substrata and island-like habitats in the sea. The publication of this article is a victory for my co-authors and me, because it represents years of hard work. I'm very happy to finally see it in print.

Find the article here: http://www.int-res.com/abstracts/meps/v556/p45-57/

Comments