Bring on the science

"Bring in 'da Noise, Bring in 'da Funk"
- Title of a Broadway musical

Well, it's about time I got some real work done. I biked to IRIS this morning, settled into my office, and evaluated what I had to do for the day. I actually spent most of the day processing a data set in preparation for a meeting with Andrew. When I was first introduced to him in 2012, Andrew gave me a hard drive with photographs from the bottoms of fjords. He knew I was interested in the organisms that love on isolated rocks, so he thought I could analyze the isolated rock communities seen in the photographs.

By now, I've made my way through all of the footage and created a matrix of numbers to represent what animals live where. Now it's just a matter of figuring out how to statistically analyze the data and create meaning out of it. Every data set has a story to tell, and we just have to handle it in the right way to get it to speak.

I've been really impressed by the community at IRIS so far. Most of my colleagues are in a state of stress right now because of an important deadline on Wednesday, but even so, they take the time to be kind to each other. Everyone eats lunch together in the canteen, and someone brought in a cake today. There is even a box of community fruit delivered every week. It's nice to be in a place where colleagues undertake some tasks collectively, even if it is just lunch, because it creates a positive group dynamic. It reinforces the fact that we are all part of something bigger, and it's not just every man for himself.

There are several signs posted around the office areas, but my favorite says, "Kindness doesn't cost you a darn thing. Sprinkle that stuff everywhere!"

Comments