Asgeir

Man, I have gone to some of the most incredible concerts in Norway. Ingrid Olava, Khaled, Stavanger Symphony, and tonight, Asgeir. One of my housemates suggested we go to the concert because she was interested in discovering new music. Translation: none of us were actually familiar with Asgeir's songs prior to the concert, but let me tell you, we made a fantastic discovery.

Asgeir's music is described as melodic folk, but I'll explain it to you this way: if Mumford and Sons and Lord Huron got married and had an insanely talented Icelandic child, that child would make music like Asgeir. Was it folk-like? Yes, but it was so much more. It was energetic, slightly off-kilter rhythms that drove you forward, plus deep, resounding bass used sparingly and tastefully, all wrapped up in vocal harmonies that lifted your soul and made you feel like your life was actually going somewhere. It was calming; it was inspiring; it was mysterious. All performed in an exotic language by stocky, bearded men.

I'm definitely adding Asgeir to my list of music to download. You know, I wondered if I would feel out of sorts by not having my violin in Norway. Since I started learning violin at the age of 8, I've never not played music in one form or another. It's surprising to me how little I miss my instrument, but I think that's because I'm involved in music in other ways. I'm listening. I'm discovering. I'm planting seeds that I will hopefully be able to harvest later. Norway has given me some incredible opportunities so far to discover new music, and I'm thankful for each one.

If you're interested, here's the link to Asgeir's most famous song, King and Cross:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-dHIkF_lO4

I also suggest you check out his first album, in Icelandic:
http://tinyurl.com/pfqqgwq

Comments