Hump Day

On Wednesday, just two days ago, we passed the halfway point in the cruise. Hump day! The first 21 days of our 42-day expedition are now in the past, and we're still going strong.

The chief scientist suggested we throw a "hump party" at the change of the watches, around 2 am. I'm on the morning shift, so when I pulled myself out of my room at 0200 hours, I headed straight to the galley to find this supposed party. It was dead. Empty. A ghost town.

Just a tad bit confused, I headed outside. A box core had just come on deck, so the emptiness of the galley was immediately explained. Two shifts worth of scientists crowded around to get their share of the samples. I guess the party was on deck.

Celebration or not, it was nice to know we've made it halfway. I guess you could say that a couple of us made our own Hump Day party when cleaned out the box core, because what started as throwing the extra mud overboard ended up in a mud-and-water fight. I had mud on my shirt, on my face, in my hair. We ended up having to spray each other off with the hose just to get clean, then show up to a science meeting dripping wet and slightly embarrassed. Oh, but it was worth it.

Soaking wet and glowingly happy: the aftermath of a mud fight on deck

Comments