Vinyasa

It is early morning, and the building is quiet. Most people have yet to arrive, but I am already in the lab. After so many days in a row of genetic work, I am beginning to approach the lab bench the way some people approach a yoga mat. When I arrive in the space, I am reminded of all the past successes and failures that have unfolded there, and I sit quietly with each of my thoughts for a moment. I set an intention. I consciously slow my breathing. Then I clean the slate-black benchtop with water and ethanol, and I set to work.

I am preparing samples of coral DNA from Palau for sequencing. My collaborator, Hanny, and I settled on an analysis technique called RAD sequencing, which requires very high-quality DNA. Moreover, it requires very high-quality DNA at a known concentration, and the concentration has to be similar among all samples.

Hanny and I chose a range of DNA concentrations that would work for RAD. Some of our samples had concentrations below that range, so we worked on concentrating them, while others were above the range and needed to be diluted. I'm currently working on diluting those samples, and it is a looooong process. Hanny used the word "iterative," which I think describes it best. Basically, I can't afford to over-shoot the dilution, so I have to go in increments, repeating the same procedure every time. I calculate how much buffer I should add, then add half that amount and re-measure the concentration. Then I sort out the samples that are good to go and dilute the rest again. Calculate, dilute, measure, repeat. Like the motions of a vinyasa, I complete the cycle over and over until all the samples are within the acceptable range of concentrations.

It's taken me a good two weeks to get it all together. But yesterday, I finally reached the last iteration, as the final few samples all showed themselves to be within the proper range of concentrations. I felt lighter, like a weight had been lifted from my shoulders and a fog lifted from my mind.

Time for shavasana.

Comments