Red-red-grey

The atmosphere on the main deck was electric. Scientists gathered excitedly near the row of shipping containers stored in the bow. Zip ties were cut, locks were undone, handles were turned, and one by one, the giant metal boxes that carried our gear were cracked open and their contents dispersed. We spent most of the morning striding back and forth along the main hallway, carrying boxes, dragging pallets, or signaling teammates. The hallway filled with an organized chaos for the next few hours as box after box and pallet after pallet emerged from the containers. Those whose belongings had not yet emerged stood in the corners, helping where they could and always watching for any item bearing their group's color code. This was my task for the first part of the morning, as I alternated between lending a hand and staying out of the way. My three boxes had been shipped to the AWI's warehouse months ago, and while I had a verbal promise from the logistics departments that my things were on board, I had no idea which container they were in.

Eventually, I spotted one of my boxes, a large plastic case bearing the red-red-grey color code of the AWI's Deep-Sea group (I still borrow their code to make sure my gear gets sorted with my colleagues'). A crew member handed me the case, and I stowed it in the lab. Soon enough, the other two boxes emerged, and I was good to go.

We spent most of the afternoon setting up the lab. Everything scientists require for work at sea has to be brought with them, from microscopes and centrifuges to tape and pencils. We unpacked the boxes, filled the drawers, and set up our equipment. One fun thing for me this time was being able to bring my own microscope with me rather than relying on colleagues to provide one. I finally own my own equipment! The last step was to tie everything down with ratchet straps and bungee cords.

I'm now ready to follow the instructions my husband gave me for the cruise as I left home and "go science the sh*t out of it!"

Comments