Spinning faster

"This world keeps spinning faster
Into a new disaster"
- "I run to you" by Lady Antebellum

Well, friends, we're in our second month of social distancing with another one to go. The world is still spinning, as far as I can tell. Some cabin fever is setting in, but overall, we're in pretty good shape.

I've been using my time in isolation to work on projects I wouldn't normally have the time for. I've told you about the ecological model I'm building, but regular readers of this blog know I never have just one project going at a time. My usual count is about 5. I work on one until I get to a point that I have to wait on someone else for feedback or approval, and while they review my work, I pull out another project to work on. I rotate through projects until one of them gets finished and flies off of the wheel.

Anemones (Metridium senile) on the wooden hull of
the coal schooner Frank A. Palmer (Photo: NOAA SBNMS)
I had to take a break from the model for a few days while I wait for some collaborators to offer their comments and a statistics book I ordered to show up. In the meantime, I moved on to another project in my rotation: my Stellwagen shipwrecks.

I'm reviewing old ROV video from Stellwagen Bank National Marine Sanctuary. Originally, I intended to just compare new footage we collected last summer to footage recorded from the same wrecks in earlier years. But as I worked my way through the footage archive, I realized there were a lot more wrecks surveyed than just the two my team was focusing on. SBNMS staff had conducted short ROV dives on a number of different wrecks - old wooden wrecks, newer metallic wrecks, wrecks so old the hull is gone and only ballast rocks remain. I was delighted to discover the wealth of information the archive contains and incorporate it into my analysis!

Going through all the old footage is time-consuming and tedious, so under normal circumstances, it would take me much longer to get through it all. I'm actually kind of grateful for social isolation granting me the opportunity to accelerate this project. I'm looking forward to seeing what the shipwreck footage reveals!

Comments

  1. HI, Kirstin, this is Susan Walker. I have been trying to email you about meeting with my class, but it bounces back. Do you have a new email address now? Please let me know how to contact you. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment