The brave

"The brave may not live forever, but the cautious do not live at all."
- Meg Cabot in The Princess Diaries
- also graffiti on Cape Cod Canal in Sandwich, MA

If driving a boat in New England were an Olympic sport, it would be called Lobster Pot Slalom. The colorful buoys pop up everywhere, forcing one to swerve like a madman or risk entangling a propeller. It's enough to make you crazy - or make you laugh. I choose the latter. Any day on the water is a good day.

Over the last week, Carl and I took a much-needed break from our work. With our boat finally afloat for the season, we explored around Massachusetts, from Martha's Vineyard to Boston Harbor. We even spent two overnights on the boat, which was a new experience. The break was a good way to clear our heads after what has been a long pandemic, with still no end in sight. 

Being outdoors, especially on the water, centers me. It reminds me why I do what I do, even when the global situation makes it more difficult. Reconnecting with the ocean that I love keeps me fueled. It was good to get out for a while. 

Most of the MA coastline is sand dunes. 

Our lunch spot near Plymouth, MA

Carl with the Nantucket Lightship in Boston Harbor

Sunset over the Boston skyline

On our boat with my husband

Gay Head, on the southwest corner of Martha's Vineyard

Comments