The situation

"This whole summer has been pretty wild, pretty crazy...lots of drama"
- Mike 'The Situation' Sorrentino in Jersey Shore

Oh, covid, how you make our lives...interesting. I don't think I need to tell anyone that this year has been tumultuous and stressful, or how sick I've gotten of the phrase "the situation" - because you're probably feeling it too. "The situation is ever-changing" - "We'll just monitor the situation" - "In this unprecedented situation" - see what I mean? Ugh.

Despite the pandemic, Team Shipwreck has pressed on with our investigations of the Portland and the Mystery Collier in Stellwagen Bank National Marine Sanctuary. I'm actually proud of what we've been able to accomplish so far, and I'm pretty sure this project is the only thing keeping me sane right now. Long days offshore with no cell service might sound strenuous, but for me, it's a fantasy world with no news.

Our next step in the project is planning our telepresence outreach broadcasts, which will take place August 25, 26, and 27. I can't tell you how many times the plan has changed so far. Usually, I want to have plans A - D outlined before I even begin a project, fully expecting that I'll make it down to plan G or or H by the end. But this year - oh, this crazy year - we blew threw the entire alphabet by the end of March. Yesterday, I actually spent some time looking at indoor/outdoor spaces and tent rental companies so the land-based team has a well-ventilated place to gather for the broadcasts. I felt more like an event planner than a scientist, but hey, this is the situation.

All in all, I'm really looking forward to our telepresence week, and I highly encourage everyone to tune in. My collaborators and I will explain our research objectives on camera and show highlights from the ROV video we've collected this summer. Weather permitting, we'll also have live ROV video so you can explore along with us! There will be a live question-and-answer session, so you can ask your most burning shipwreck-related questions. You can find more details about the broadcasts and fill out the interest form on behalf of your class, school, or group on the project website: https://sanctuaries.noaa.gov/live/2020/whoi.html


Comments