Newfoundland

The flyer for my seminar
 "For there blows some cold nor'westers
On the banks of Newfoundland"
- "Banks of Newfoundland" by Great Big Sea  

About six weeks ago, I received an email with the subject line "From an old friend." The message was from Carly, a Masters student I had known back when I was doing my PhD in Oregon. (Long-time readers of this blog might remember Carly from the day we went tidepooling in a hail storm.) She's moved on to do her own PhD at the Memorial University of Newfoundland, and the e-mail was an invitation to present a virtual seminar to her department. I was thrilled for the chance to present my work, get to know researchers and students at MUN, and catch up with Carly.

The mark of a good seminar is the questions it generates, and I'm glad to say I received several excellent questions after my presentation. The seminar was also streamed live online, so you can watch the embedded video below here. I really enjoyed my virtual visit to Newfoundland!

Comments