Aufbau (Building)

The bright red numerals on the lab clock read 14:45. Not even 3 pm, and we were done for the day. How in the world had that happened?

I ran through the list in my head. Change the batteries in both pumps – check. Clean and grease the O-rings – check. Connect the pumps to my computer – check. Run a quick dry test to make sure they work – check. Show Kharis how to assemble the filter – check. One of the pumps was already in place on its lander, and the other would be secured there soon enough. We were finished much, much faster than I thought.

It's a relief, really. Here I thought we would spend the next few days wrestling with stainless-steel bars, drilling holes, and sighing in frustration at a geometric puzzle. Triangular lander, rectangular pump frame, cylindrical housing – you get the idea. None of it turned out to be a problem. Normen and his team were on top of it. We're done.

Probably the most exciting moment today was when Kharis and I connected the first pump to my computer using a special cable and adapter. I opened the manufacturer's software on my computer. Nothing. We checked whether the indicator light on the adapter was flashing. Nothing. I typed the command to wake up the pump. Nothing. Then I realized there were two possible communication channels, and my computer was on the wrong one. I selected the other one from the software's drop-down list, woke up the pump, and was even able to start it. With a low, throaty cough, the pump came to life, and I honestly felt like Dr. Frankenstein. "It's alive!" I shouted to no one in particular.

The pumps are working, and we are ready to go – three whole days early. It's a good thing, too, because the pump deployment is our very first station. I'm excited to see what we catch!

Comments