Bon bini

Friends, as you can tell from my last post about something that happened before Christmas being posted on December 29, I am a bit behind on the blog. Well, at least I have a valid excuse: I'm on vacation. 

Yes, it's true! I am currently on the quirky Caribbean island of Bonaire. In case you haven't heard of it, Bonaire is part of the Netherlands Antilles. It's a desert island with pristine coral reefs, a mix of languages including Dutch, English, Spanish, and a Portuguese-based Creole called Papiamentu. There are lots of flamingos (it's a national symbol), feral donkeys, and cactuses. I'm spending my days largely underwater, breathing compressed gases and pretending I'm one of the colorful fishes on the reef. It's my third time down here, and I absolutely love it. 

Let's warm up with some of my favorite underwater photos I've taken in Bonaire this week!

Fishes! I think they're blackbar soldierfishes, Myripristis jacobus.

Octocorals! Plexaura sp.

A spiny lobster hiding under some corals.

A young boulder brain coral, Colpophyllia natans

I'm trying to learn all the Caribbean corals. This one is Montastraea cavernosa.

Comments