All those sequences

It took 3 separate emails to get all the sequence data for my baby corals from Palau into my inbox. There were 57 samples, and most of my PCRs had worked. I sent 92 tubes to the sequencer, and each one was used for two sequencing attempts (forward and reverse). That's a ton of data. 
One of the coral recruits. Using DNA, I was able to identify
this one as Porites sp.

Not all of the sequences were clean - they never are - but they got me the information I needed. Sample after sample matched to the database and produced a logical answer. Acropora, Porites, Stylaraea - all coral genera that are known to occur in the area. My identifications were working. 

It is so satisfying to have a project work on the first try. Well, I suppose it was only the first try for this round, and my efforts have benefited from 5 years of trial and error. We finally got our protocol down and started generating good results - it's about time.

As soon as I had compared all the sequences to the database and identified each coral, I sent my spreadsheet to Maikani. She'll include these results in her analysis of coral recruitment across Palau. I'm proud of what we've accomplished and look forward to the final paper!

Comments