Night at the museum

One of the aquarium displays at CCMNH

The Cape Cod Museum of Natural History is part aquarium, part historical museum, and part nature preserve. The small wooden building sits back from the street in Brewster, MA, about an hour from Woods Hole. When my colleague, Calvin, suggested it as a venue for a public seminar, I was immediately interested. 

Actually, if there was ever an appropriate venue for a presentation on Calvin’s and my collaborative research, CCMNH is it. The museum is a highly interdisciplinary institution with robust education programs and a seminar series run by the Massachusetts Archaeological Society. This small but mighty museum in Brewster is where biology and archaeology meet.

My seminar was well-attended - I estimate there were about 30 people in the room, plus a few more on Zoom. The museum staff were great to work with and managed the technical intricacies of a hybrid presentation well. Over the course of an hour, I shared results of my group’s research in Stellwagen Bank National Marine Sanctuary, the Gulf of Mexico, and the tropical Pacific. I introduced Maritime Heritage Ecology. There were plenty of questions afterward, and I was glad to share this important interdisciplinary work with a new audience.

It was a great night at the museum. Thanks to CCMNH for the invitation!

Comments

  1. It was a good, informative presentation! I learned a lot about Stellwagen Bank, which is a great local resource. Your study of sessile communities on sunken aircraft in the Pacific dovetailed with my curiosity about WWII and sunken wrecks in general. Now, I wonder what kinds of sessile communities are growing on Amelia Earhart's plane?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment