Colors of the wind

The weather is changing in Stavanger. In the past week, it's gotten much windier, a bit colder, and the days are getting shorter. My morning bike ride used to be in full daylight, but now I leave the house in the gray dawn. I have to wear a jacket, and the flags outside IRIS are pulled taut by the wind.

Sunrise in Stavanger, October 6, 2014
Experiencing a true autumn in Stavanger has made me realize how much I missed having four true temperate seasons. In coastal Oregon, where I lived for the two years prior to my Norwegian adventure, there are really only two seasons: Rain (winter) and Rain Plus Wind (summer). The break between the two is marked by the Fall and Spring Transitions, when the predominant wind switches from south to north over the course of a few days.  

I remember reading an article several years ago by a woman who had settled in southern California. She learned to love the beach and the ubiquity of artichokes but broke down one day while listening to Vivaldi's Four Seasons on the radio. She couldn't do it anymore; she had to move. Suddenly, subtropical latitudes were just too monotonous. To be honest, I'm tempted to crank up some Vivaldi in my office as I work, if nothing else than to celebrate the fact that I get a real autumn this year!

White caps on Byfjorden
Seasons help me mark the passage of time, and I've found myself remarking repeatedly over the past week that I can't believe I've already been in this beautiful country for over a month and a half. Norway continues to amaze me, but I can't help but feel a bit of urgency. I came here to work, to finish several projects that I had been procrastinating, so I anxiously examine my calendar to see if I am on pace. To be perfectly honest, I think I am. My data analysis has progressed by leaps and bounds lately, so I'm getting very excited about my results. I can't share the details here, but I'll hopefully have a manuscript ready to submit in the coming weeks.

Life moves on in Stavanger. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to listen to some Vivaldi.


Comments