Paris

Well, friends, now that I've finished at OIMB, you might be wondering where that leaves me. I'm in limbo for a while, but the good news is that I won't stay there forever. I already know where I'm going next. I'm headed for a marine biology research institute on a new coast.

I'm going to make you guess which one.

The institute is not in France, despite the title of this post. (Paris is a metaphor; see below.)
The institute is in the United States.
To get there from OIMB, I have to fly.
It's an institute I've visited within the past 18 months but not the past 12 months.
This institute has incredible infrastructure, including one of the best underwater research vehicles in the world.
When you pronounce the acronym for this institute, you sound a bit like an owl.

Any ideas?

It's WHOI, or Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, in Massachusetts.

Sailboats seen from a beach in Falmouth, MA
Woods Hole is a top-tier institute. In my humble opinion, it is the best in the United States, possibly the world. I am continually impressed with the quality of the science coming out of WHOI - and for the record, I held this opinion long before they offered me a fellowship. Ever since my Atlantis cruise last summer, I've felt about Woods Hole the way I imagine artists feel about Paris. I consider it the center of the deep-sea biology world. And starting in a few months, I get to work there.

As you can imagine, I am beyond excited. My mom and I have spent the past few days exploring the area around WHOI and trying to find a place for me to live. It's definitely going to be a change from Coos Bay, but it will be such a good change. In just a few months, I will be out of limbo and in the center of the world.

Comments