Warning signs

Friends, another scientific paper with my name on it has been published. This one concerns anthropogenic impacts on the deep sea. I can't take too much credit for the paper, because I was not present when it was conceived of but contributed to the writing and revision process later. The first author, Andrew Sweetman, who was my advisor in Norway, deserves much more of the credit. He lead a group of over 20 authors to craft a thoughtful and data-supported analysis of how climate change is likely to impact the deep sea in the near future. There are warning signs already, and this paper shows how rising temperatures, falling pH, and food limitation may reduce diversity in the deep sea.

You can find the study here, in the journal Elementa.

The paper just came out today, but it's already attracted attention. It's been publicized by Heriot-Watt University and covered by The Guardian, Ocean News, and EurekAlert. I highly recommend you give it a read.

Comments