The filter

Right now, I am sitting in a long row of attached black chairs in the international terminal. In front of me, tiny colored lights are visible on the runway against the night sky outdoors. To my right, a bored salesman stands around in a duty free jewelry store. To my left, a group of Germans is animatedly discussing their upcoming trip, and my ears catch faint strains of their conversation.

It has been a whirlwind few weeks. Between keeping up with work, submitting proposals for new projects, stressing about my future job prospects, hosting guests for the holidays, staying on top of dive training, and preparing for my current trip, I am absolutely exhausted.

I always get to a similar mental state after long busy periods. I remember specifically in 2015, after 2 ridiculous months in Svalbard, I felt like a water filtration system that needed its filter changed. I was clogged and unable to process any new information. I have a similar feeling now, because if I'm honest with myself, I haven't taken a deep breath since this summer (and it was a very short breath). Thankfully, I've honed a few strategies over the years for cleaning off my mental filter, and writing is absolutely key. I've known this about myself for years - once I write a thought down, it disappears from my brain. By writing my thoughts, I am cleaned. Another strategy is to get outdoors, where the physical exertion and the cold wind make me feel fresh and new.

I've spent a lot of time today writing down my thoughts and cleaning them from my psychi. I'm also starting a trip now that will involve a lot of field work. I told you I was in the international terminal, but I'm not going to tell you where I'm headed quite yet. I'll just say that I am beyond stoked to be going there. Stay tuned for tales from a new adventure!

Comments