In print

Friends, research is a lot of work, but it is also rewarding! I always take joy in seeing my work in print, and today, another article has been published as a result of my studies.

This paper concerns the swimming behavior of oyster larvae when they are competent to settle. I've been telling you about my analysis of oyster larvae swimming behavior for over a year. When I arrived at WHOI, I was given four datasets to analyze, and to do so, I had to learn how to code. I wrote scripts to identify larvae swimming down, swimming up, and swimming in helices, calculate the proportions of each, and find their average velocities. Working with my advisor and co-authors, I picked out which results were most meaningful and whittled them down into a coherent story. My co-authors and I revised our manuscript numerous times and even started over once. Our manuscript was submitted for publication and underwent review, after which it had to be overhauled again. It took a lot of time and a lot of work, but in the end, our paper turned out very well and was accepted for publication. I'm quite proud that I was able to contribute not just to mankind's knowledge of oyster larvae swimming behavior but also to developing data analysis methods that have been implemented by other students in my lab for their own experiments.

This paper represents a lot of work by myself and my co-authors. I'm glad to finally see it in print. You can find the manuscript here, in the journal Marine Ecology Progress Series:
https://www.int-res.com/abstracts/meps/v599/p93-106/

Comments