Desert island

If you were stranded on a desert island, what would you want with you? It's a classic question. I've given various answers to the thought experiment over the years, but I finally settled on a definitive answer about 2 years ago. If I'm on a desert island, the #1 thing I want is...my dive gear.

You see, I've actually been to a desert island. It's called Bonaire, and it's in the Caribbean. Bonaire is incredibly dry, filled with cactuses and barren landscapes - a true desert - and the lack of rain means there is very little sediment runoff to the surrounding ocean. As a result, the waters around Bonaire are crystal clear, and coral reefs thrive here. The western side of Bonaire is essentially one giant marine park. You can drive along the coastal road, pull off at any number of painted stone markers, and waddle into the water for an amazing dive. Bonaire is known as the "shore diving capital of the world."

I'm spending Christmas in Bonaire with my husband this year, and we plan to spend as much time underwater as humanly possible. Now that I'm trained on a rebreather, we can undertake dives up to 3 hours long. I won't be in contact as often as usual during this week, because we're both planning to unplug. If you want to read more about Bonaire, you can check out my posts from October 2017.

Friends, I wish you a beautiful, restful holiday season. I will catch up with you in January.

Comments