The emerald city of Oz

"We live in an age of progress...It is easier to swallow knowledge than to acquire it laboriously from books."        - L. Frank Baum in The emerald city of Oz

Dear friends, I am on a journey to Oz. It has plenty of brick roads, a couple witches, and possibly some flying monkeys. It also sparkles emerald, because as far as science is concerned, it is the source of all "green." Yes, I'm talking about funding, and of course, the city I'm referring to is Washington DC.

I was advised by my mentoring committee to reach out to program officers at each of the major federal funding agencies where I'm likely to submit proposals - NSF, NOAA, etc. It's common practice for scientists to solicit guidance from program officers on whether or not their proposed research fits a given funding program. As I'm learning, communicating directly with program officers is especially important for early-career scientists like myself, who have limited experience in grantsmanship.

I've spent the last two days navigating the Metro, undergoing security screenings at every federal building I enter, and taking copious notes while listening eagerly to the program officers. I have been swallowing knowledge. My meetings have been very productive and insightful. All program officers have scientific backgrounds, and many of them are "rotators" who will return to their home labs after a 2-year stint in DC. They are extremely personable, intelligent, and helpful. I'm grateful for the opportunity to speak directly with the funders and get their take on the projects I'm planning.

It's been a productive trip!

Comments