Eyos

The governor's office was tidy. A large, dark wooden desk dominated the space against a backdrop of matching cabinets and a fabric flag on a free-standing pole. I recognized the flag with its deep blue background and yellow crescent moon - it was the flag of Koror state. Two leather office chairs faced the desk as I approached, so I took a seat when offered. I noticed an old campaign sticker on the back of the governor's tablet. It seemed familiar. I had seen the same design on signs on Main Street last November. The election must still be fresh in his mind. 

"So you've applied for a marine research permit," the governor began. I did my best to sit up straight and nod respectfully. Governor is the highest-ranking official I've ever had a one-on-one meeting with, and it happened spontaneously. I was very conscious of the fact that I was wearing a T-shirt. 

"I'm Eyos by the way." He interrupted himself and stuck out his hand. 

I shook it. "Kirstin."

"I'm sorry I can't offer you much to drink," Eyos gestured toward a cart at the side of the room. He stood as he did so, and I noticed he was wearing blue jeans. Suddenly my T-shirt didn't seem quite as bad. This was my kind of governor.

We chatted for about 15 minutes until another official arrived - the Director of the Department of Conservation of Law Enforcement. Together, the three of us went over the 15-page document that constituted my marine research permit. We initialed at the bottom of each page and signed at the end. 

I thanked both of them profusely and rose to leave, but the governor caught my attention. "Please tell us what you find," he requested. I assured him we absolutely would. In fact, one of my team's goals is to produce a full report on our research and convey it to the governments of Palau and Koror state. As a foreigner in this country, I consider it my obligation to share everything I learn about Palau's environment with those responsible for managing it. Palau has been extremely proactive about conservation and actually designated 80% of its exclusive economic zone as a marine protected area in 2015. Making future decisions about activities in Palau's EEZ will depend on sound, up-to-date information on the state of the environment. 

As I left the capitol building, permit in hand, I smiled to myself at the absurdity of the experience. From being caught unaware and ushered into the governor's office, to discovering he was so casual, to signing a binding legal document and then following it up with a verbal promise. This country keeps me on my toes, and I love it. 

Comments