Recruit hunt: part 2

I love looking at baby corals! There's something so satisfying about scouring a reef for the smallest individuals possible and then photographing them at high resolution. I imagine it will be a challenge to identify many of them to species, but that is next year's problem. In the meantime, I want to share my favorite recruits with you (zip ties for scale). These corals, if they live, will support biodiversity on reefs in Palau for hundreds of years. 

This coral is a single polyp, probably only a few weeks old. 

I was really glad I got the photo of this individual because it was down in a crevice and hard to see. 
I think it's a species of Montipora.

Another single polyp! Matthew is really good at finding them.

This individual was just large enough to identify - Porites cylindrica.

This was a really rare find - a small Goniopora recruit!

Comments