Wrecks of the semi-deep


Friends, you might not realize this, but I have actually been working on another project while in Palau. Do you remember the expedition I went on in the Gulf of Mexico last June? That's right, the one where we investigated shipwrecks and natural hard-bottom habitats in the mesophotic zone. Well, the education component for that project happened to fall during November - while I was in Palau - so I undertook an extreme exercise in telepresence. Thanks to the internet, I could actually be in two places at once. 

The team for the mesophotic project connected with classrooms across the US for conversations about our project, shipwrecks, and marine science in general. We had live viewers at middle schools and high schools across the Gulf Coast and the Northeast, but we also recorded everything on YouTube! If you're interested, you can check out our broadcasts at the links below. 

Comments