The CATAIN paper

Settlers captured on CATAIN in September 2021.
Friends, it's been a long time coming, but I am proud to announce that my paper about CATAIN has finally been published in Limnology and Oceanography: Methods! CATAIN is the camera system I designed in collaboration with WHOI engineers to capture data on settlement and post-settlement mortality. Without CATAIN, these processes could only be studied in easily-accessible environments and were very labor-intensive to capture. Thanks to our invention, researchers can measure settlement, growth, and mortality of young juvenile organisms in remote environments. We've most recently used CATAIN in an Arctic fjord!

This paper describes the prototype - why we wanted it, how we built it, what it can do, and some potential caveats. I am so excited for our research tool to finally be made known to the world! 


If you have questions about CATAIN or want advice on building your own, feel free to email me at kmeyer@whoi.edu.

Comments