Top ten things I will miss about Palau

This puppy hangs out at our
favorite food truck.
Every time I move across the world, I make a list of the top ten things I will miss about the place I've lived. While it is not proper to say that I've ever lived in Palau, I have certainly spent a lot of time here in the last few years. As my longest trip yet wraps up, this seems as good a time as any to review the top ten things I will miss about Palau. 

10. Dogs in public. Palauan pets roam much more than in the U.S. Honestly, the line between a pet and a stray dog is pretty blurry - but all the dogs are incredibly friendly. I will miss seeing cute dogs almost everywhere I go. 

9. Finding animals in random places. There is a strong sense in Palau that humans live amongst and between the local biodiversity. I've gotten used to finding geckos indoors, birds in parking lots, and barnacles on tree branches (that one surprised me). There's always something new to find.

8. The sound of a torrential afternoon rain. It deafens. It roars. It cleanses. It brings life. 

7. Hiking in the jungle. I've gotten to do some incredible hikes in Palau - over an island in Koror, past waterfalls in Babeldoab. I love the humidity and the astounding abundance of plants. I have seen pitcher plants, a garden of indigenous medicinal plants, a tree with poisonous sap - the biodiversity is endless. 

6. Local food. The bananas are small and sweet. Francos has the best fish curry. Tamas are a great after-dive snack. Cheese naan at The Taj is unmatched. Sure, it might be just because I'm always so hungry after a long day of diving, but I have learned to absolutely love the food in Palau. 

5. Coconut oil for skincare. You can buy locally-made coconut oil at the grocery store in Palau. It's brown, liquid, and sold in recycled plastic bottles. Palauans pour a little out into the palm of their hand and rub it into their hair or on their skin after a shower. You smell amazing, and the oil is great for dry skin and mild sunburns. 

4. The community at PICRC. PICRC is an interesting place - there are permanent scientific staff and visiting researchers, not to mention the public aquarium. It's honestly a fantastic place to meet other coral biologists. During trips to Palau, I've connected with researchers from the UK, Hong Kong, other universities in the US, and of course Palau. I'm grateful for this hub and for the connections I've made in Palau. 

3. Unique birdsong. Nature sounds in Palau are completely different than anywhere else I've been. At our study sites, we hear barking pigeons, chirping birds, and the eerie whistle of the Palau bush warbler. Fruit bats and white tropic birds fly overhead. I love the atmosphere. 

Nudibranch!
2. All the marine life. I cannot even begin to describe to you the incredible marine life of Palau. The living limestone of the coral reefs are populated by long-spined sea urchins, tiny nudibranchs, colorful flatworms, slinking pipefish, dancing feather stars, bright blue clams - the list goes on. The artistic inspiration is endless. Honestly, one of my favorite things that we've done is the recruit hunts, because when we go hunting for tiny baby corals at each of our study sites, we find all the other tiny, fascinating, enthralling, captivating organisms. I am so in love with marine life in Palau. 

1. The Rock Islands. You leave in the morning and zoom on a boat with the wind in your hair. Limestone islands rise straight out of the sea. The intricate labyrinth presents endless nooks to explore. The water is crystal-clear, and you are surrounded by astounding biodiversity. Palau's Rock Islands are like nowhere else in the world. 

Comments