Arriba

For the fiftieth time that day, I heard a high-pitched toddler voice say "arriba." I looked down to see Sebastian standing near me, hands in the air. Arriba. Up. The little stinker was teaching me Spanish. 

I lifted Sebastian, rested his puffy, diaper-clad bottom on my hip, and gave his fleshy cheek a kiss. At just under 2 years old, he was unbelievably cute. He smiled at me - a saliva-filled, giggly, genuine smile. So stinking cute. Then he started wriggling and said "Runter" - German for "down."  For some reason, he always asked to be picked up in Spanish but asked to be set down in German. 

This was our routine for days. Arriba. Runter. Arriba. Runter. Arriba. Runter. The kid was non-stop. 

All of us at the Cape Cod National Seashore
Don't get me wrong, it was an incredible visit. Sebastian's parents - one from Germany, one from Colombia - have been my friends for several years. I met Theresa when I lived in Germany in 2011-2012 and Juan a few years later after they started dating. We've been trying to connect since covid, and I was extremely grateful that they took the time and initiative to visit me in Massachusetts. 

It's so fun for me to watch friends become parents. Theresa and Juan have both matured since Sebastian was born, and I can tell a difference in the way they approach life. Hosting their little family at my house was fun and chaotic and happy and warm. 

Sebastian, for his part, absolutely loved the trip. As he toddled around the house, my dog, Kraken, followed closely behind - the two wore each other out. Sebastian loves the beach, so we had to visit the ocean at least once per day. When we reached the sand, Theresa would pull off Sebastian's shorts so he could run unencumbered to the water. Once Sebastian was sufficiently cold and sand-covered, Juan would hold him up Lion King-style in the sun to dry. Sebastian never wanted to leave - that kid could live on a beach. 

I consider myself very fortunate to have good friends on multiple continents. Theresa, Juan, and Sebastian, thank you for coming to see me! I had a blast introducing you to my corner of the world. 

Comments