A long night of science: part 2

Admittedly, one of the reasons I study marine invertebrate larvae is because I find them beautiful. I just have to share some of the amazing specimens we collected at HG-I. All photos were taken using a compound microscope at 50 - 100x magnification by myself and Johanna Weston.

We called this snail "black spot," but I think he's cuter than the ominous name suggests.

Not actually sure who this is, but it's clearly an embryo in the act of dividing into multiple cells!

A pluteus larva of the brittle star Ophiopholis aculeata



I kept calling these baby clams "tiny, stupid bivalves" because they're challenging to identify and it was 2 am. Turns out, Johanna made that the official morphotype name in our data sheet!

A cyprid larva of the barnacle Balanus balanus.

Not sure what species this is, but we called it "embryo shiny."


Comments