Everybody's grandma

On Petra's balcony overlooking the Weser River
She picked me up at the train station. When I stepped out of the car, I spotted her immediately in her pastel purple jacket. The matching hat and sunglasses she wore helped protect her 82-year-old skin from the sun. She hugged me tight and told me how happy she was to see me. I returned the sentiment - because I truly was happy to see her too. 

Petra Kollakowsky is my adopted grandmother. We met through church back in 2011, when I lived in Germany, and we have traded handwritten letters ever since. I stop by and visit her every time I'm in Bremerhaven. I call her "Oma," German for "grandmother," and she calls me "Enkel," German for "grandchild." Even though Petra never married or had children of her own, she is incredibly maternal in her interactions with others. Our relationship is truly familial. 

As it turns out, I'm not the only one who feels this way about Petra. For the last several years, Petra has sponsored a family of Syrian refugees, helping them understand and assimilate to German culture. She texted the mom while I was at her apartment, and as she narrated her typed message, I noticed she signed it "Oma." Petra's instinctual generosity and warm heart have made her into a grandmotherly figure to many. 

I admire Petra very much. She is incredibly active for a woman in her 80s and shows very little sign of slowing down. In fact, Petra recently published a book of poetry and paintings, both of which she has created off-and-on since youth. I am grateful for the book because it provides insights into Petra's life experiences that I might not otherwise have known. Between growing up during WWII and spending her career as a professional opera singer, Petra has plenty of stories to tell. She signed my copy of her book with a handwritten message - something I will treasure for a long time. 
Petra in Polarstern's on-board library

Over breakfast, Petra asked me a question. "Kirstin," she mused, "What if my book went with you to the Arctic?" 

I thought about it for a second, then realized it was perfectly possible for Petra's book to come on board the research icebreaker Polarstern with me. In fact, she could donate a copy to the ship's library. 

This answer clearly delighted Petra - she gleamed with excitement. Family and friends were allowed to view the ship prior to leaving port this year, so Petra even had the chance to see the ship's library and place the book there herself. She dedicated a copy to the participants of the upcoming expedition, PS143. 

I am glad I got to visit Petra in Bremerhaven this year. Until next time, Oma.

Comments