Homecoming

I love trains. You don’t have to disrobe at a security checkpoint; you can take as much luggage as you can carry; you get to see beautiful landscapes, and you can spread out onto the seat next to you because there’s usually nobody there. Ok, if you understand German, I recommend you check out the Wise Guys song “Deutsche Bahn” for a bit of perspective, but I still insist it’s the best way to travel. I would go everywhere by train if I could.

I started this morning by saying goodbye to Stefanie at the train station in Utrecht. That girl is a gem. The ride to Bremerhaven is about 5 hours, and I had to change trains twice. To be honest, it made me happy when we crossed the border and the announcements were made in German instead of Dutch. I can understand a good fraction of Dutch words, but there’s nothing like getting every single syllable in a language you understand. It’s like somebody flipped a switch and made everything suddenly fit in my brain.

You see, traveling to Germany is not an adventure. It’s not an adrenaline rush; it’s not even a challenge. It’s a homecoming. 

Some of you may have heard me explain this before, but I believe there are two highs in life. I’m not talking about drugs; I’m talking about completely natural feelings, brought on by the awesomeness of life itself. The cold high is adventure. It’s walking up early, crisp mountain air, scaling an impossible cliff, discovering something new. It’s mental flossing. The cold high cleans you out and makes you feel fresh.

On the other hand, the warm high fills you up. It’s holidays with family; it’s seeing a dear old friend. It’s hot chocolate, a warm fire, a place you belong.

When I first arrived in Germany in July 2011, I was on a cold high for months. Everything I touched was something new. Gradually, that faded away, and now, as I’m returning to this place that has become a part of my story – a part of me – it’s nothing but a pure warm high. This feeling is liquid, and it’s washing over my shoulders like a refreshing hot shower.

You’ll forgive me, won’t you, if I just stare out the window for a while? I’m sorry if you think it odd, but I just need to drink in this feeling for a little bit.

I’ll catch up with you when I get to Bremerhaven. Friends, I’m almost home.

Comments