Seen around town

The Norwegian Royal Palace in Oslo
The sight-seeing part of my weekend began with a walk from Ingeborg's mom's apartment to the royal palace. We stopped in at various shops to look around, then headed to Slottsparken (Palace Park). When we approached the royal palace, Ingeborg had to point it out to me because I otherwise wouldn't have recognized it as a house of royalty. It was quite an unassuming building - plain, even - and it occurred to me that I've seen museums more conspicuous and lavishly decorated. Ingeborg explained that since Norway was ruled by Denmark for so many years and afterwards unified with Sweden, the royal family of Norway is not nearly as rich as some other monarchies. Today, they live so much like normal people, she said, that she didn't see a real point in maintaining the monarchy. I have to admit that I agree.

Henrik Ibsen's signature outside the Ibsen Museum in Oslo
Later in the day, we passed the Ibsen Museum, located in the former residence of the famous playwright. I could easily have walked straight past this building as well, and I might have if someone hadn't stopped us to ask Ingeborg for directions. As she was talking with the passer-by, I noticed there was writing in the sidewalk, lines from Ibsen's plays, and even his signature. Looking up, I finally noticed the facade of the inconspicuous Ibsen Museum, complete with a historical placard marking it as his former apartment. It never ceases to amaze me how easy it is for famous and influential figures to live as normal people - I guess I always expect their residences to fit their post-mortem reputations. Not so, my friends, not so. 

Finally, Ingeborg and I found the Nobel Institute, where the committee deciding recipients of the Nobel Peace Prize meets. A separate museum is located closer to the city center, but I wanted to see where the decisions are actually made. The Peace Prize is announced and awarded in Oslo, whereas academic Nobel Prizes are awarded in Stockholm, Sweden. A bust of Alfred Nobel was of course situated directly in front of the building, reminding all who pass by of the tradition being carried on inside. I've found myself in recent years having stronger and stronger opinions on Nobel Prize recipients, and I'm not sure if this is a sign of age, maturity, education, or obsession. Perhaps I should have left the committe a note with my two cents' worth - just kidding.

My overall impression of Oslo is that it is a very unassuming, decentralized city with highlights scattered throughout.  

Bust of Alfred Nobel outside the Nobel Institute in Oslo.

Comments